Monday, March 5, 2012

Karla and Kinsey Book Review Part I

Legend by Marie Lu
Review by Karla Accorto

This month Kinsey and I selected Legend by Marie Lu. Fifteen-year-old June is the Republic’s prodigy because she is the only one to have ever scored a perfect 1500 on the standardized test that decides each person’s fate after high school. She lives with older brother, Metias, a commander in the Republic’s prestigious military. Day is a boy of the same age, but that is where the similarities end. He is the Republic’s most-wanted criminal, but did he really commit the ultimate crime that he has been accused of: murdering Metias? Torn between protecting his family from a deadly plague and saving his own life, Day soon finds himself making critical decisions about his future. On the other hand, June soon finds herself motivated by revenge to find her brother’s killer. But along the way, she might just find herself falling for the very boy that is supposed to be off-limits. Together, she and Day will also discover some very startling truths about their government and how far they will go to protect their secrets.

At first glance, Legend appears to be just another Dystopian novel. However, the minute you read the first word, Legend sets itself apart from all of the rest. It is, simply put, a well-told adventure. The setting is completely believable, a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles. The characters are wonderfully crafted. The reader is taken on a rollercoaster of emotions and every train of thought is always easy to follow. I had a perfect mental picture of both Day and June in my head right from the start. The supporting characters also blew me away, such as Day’s brothers John and Eden, his friend Tess, June’s brother Metias, and his comrade Thomas. Each person was so believable and their motivations were crystal clear, which I loved as a reader. The story flowed perfectly; every scene had a purpose and there was no fluff. I never found myself confused or lost. The ending was tidy enough to satisfy me for the moment, but left enough loose ends for a sequel that I am eagerly anticipating.

My only complaint was that I was able to predict early on a big part of the “twist” in the plot. It is essentially given away in a few sentences, but it all depends on if the reader is paying attention. Other parts did keep me in suspense though, which I was extremely grateful for. Legend was most definitely a page turner.

This was a great selection for Kinsey and me because we both really enjoyed The Hunger Games and this is definitely in the same genre. It kept my full attention, and although Kinsey is not far into it yet, I’m sure it will keep hers. I’m looking forward to reading her review and hearing what she had to say about Legend. I am confident that she will love it just as much as I did. Marie Lu is an extremely talented writer. She knows how to deliver exactly what the reader is looking for and to keep them desperately wanting more. I would be thrilled to someday become half of the writer she is. I give Legend 5 stars most definitely and would recommend it for anyone looking for a fast-paced, exciting, romantic, and engaging read.

No comments:

Post a Comment