Friday, June 10, 2011

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

No spoilers.

Title:
Please Ignore Vera Dietz
Author: A.S. King
Year of Publication: 2010
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 323
First Line: "Before I died, I hid my secrets in the Master Oak."
Summary: Is it okay to hate a dead kid? Even if I loved him once? Even if he was my best friend? Is it okay to hate him for being dead?

Vera's spent her whole life secretly in love with her best friend, Charlie Kahn. And over the years she's kept a lot of his secrets. Even after he betrayed her. Even after he ruined everything.

So when Charlie dies in dark circumstances, Vera knows a lot more than anyone -- the kids at school, his family, even the police. But will she emerge to clear his name? does she even want to?

Source: Back/Inside of book

Review: I really enjoyed this book. Each character was well-rounded and three-dimensional, the dialogue was realistic. There was not a lot of dialogue, but the non-dialogue parts were written in a way that made it easier for me to read. I found this book was a lot like John Green's books, especially Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns. This book is totally different from King's other novel, The Dust of 100 Dogs which was also excellent. It's difficult to say a lot about it without giving much away, but it is definitely worth the time it took to read it and I highly recommend it.

Worst part:
The ending did not explode quite as much as it should have but it was still enjoyable.

Best part: Vera's character was very well done, as was her dad's.

Grade: A

Other Books by This Author: Dust of 100 Dogs


12 / 100 books. 12% done!

No comments:

Post a Comment