Friday, June 10, 2011

Bitter End by Jennifer Brown

No spoilers.

Title:
Bitter End
Author: Jennifer Brown
Year of Publication: 2011
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 356
First Line: "If I had to describe my best friend, Bethany, in one word, it would be persistent."
Summary: He'd never told me he loved me before.

Nobody had ever told me they loved me before.

When Alex falls for the charming new boy at school, Cole -- a handsome, funny sports star who adores her -- she can't believe she's finally found her soul mate...someone who truly loves and understands her.

At first, Alex is blissfully happy. Sure, Cole seems a little jealous of her relationship with her close friend Zack, but what guy would want his girlfriend spending all her time with another boy? As the months pass, though, Alex can no longer ignore Cole's small put-downs, pinches, and increasingly violent threats.

As Alex struggles to come to terms with the sweet boyfriend she fell in love with and the boyfriend whose "love" she no longer recognizes, she is forced to choose -- between her "true love" and herself.

Source: Back/Inside of book

Review: I am very often interested in books about teenage relationship abuse. I don't know why. Those that I have read on the subject so far have all been well written and this one is not an exception. I loved all the characters in the book and it was all written realistically. I found Bethany and Zack to be especially realistic with how they deal with Alex's situation. I also enjoyed the character of Alex's manager where she works. I don't know that I liked that she didn't have a mother, but this could just be because for the last four books I've reviewed, there was an orphan or half-orphan as the main character, so it feels incredibly cliche at this point. All-in-all I enjoyed this. It was a quick read and worth it.

Worst part: While I loved Zack, he was kind of an idiot.

Best part: I liked that Alex was a writer. I know that some authors avoid writing about writers because some people consider it "desperate" but I think they forget that a lot of their readers are writers and readers like to read about people like them, therefore they like to read about writers.

Grade: B+

Other Books by This Author: Hate List


15 / 100 books. 15% done!

No comments:

Post a Comment