Monday, December 6, 2010

My Heartbeat by Garret Freymann-Weyr

No spoilers.

Title:
My Heartbeat
Author: Garret Freymann-Weyr
Year of Publication: 2002
Genre: YA
Pages: 154
First Line: "It's after midnight when I hear James leave."
Summary: Ellen loves Link and James. Her older brother and his best friend are the only company she ever wants. She knows they fight, but she makes it a policy never to take sides. She loves her brother,the math genius and track star. She is totally madly in love with James, his long eyelashes and hidden smiles. "When you grow out of it," James teases her, "you will break my heart."

Then someone at school asks if Link and James might be in love with each other. A simple question. But the answer is far from simple, and its repercussions affect their entire lives.

Source: Back of book

Review: While this book got off to a somewhat slow start, I really loved all of the characters and the plot. Everything was very realistic and I enjoyed the relationships between the characters. Freymann-Weyr's simplistic writing style reflects her characters' age, but she still manages to make profound observances that make readers of all ages think. This book will not bother those squeamish with gay topics -- it is addressed in a way that is not graphic or anything else (at least in terms of same-sex relationships). A simple concept that makes for an interesting and heartfelt story.

Worst part: I felt Link was slightly underdeveloped.

Best part: I loved James. His character was by far the most interesting.

Grade: B+

Other Books by This Author: When I Was Older, The Kings Are Already Here, Stay With Me, After The Moment, Pretty Girls and French Ducks in Venice.


70 / 50 books. 140% done!

No comments:

Post a Comment