Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Beastly by Alex Flinn

No Spoilers.

Title: Beastly
Author: Alex Flinn
Year of Publication: 2007
Genre: YA, fantasy
Pages: 304
First Line: "Mr. Anderson: Welcome to the first meeting of the Unexpected Changes chat group."

(First line of the actual text: "I could feel everyone looking at me, but I was used to it."

Summary: I am a beast. A beast. Not quite wolf or gorilla or dog, but a horrible new creature with fangs, claws, and hair springing from every pore. I am a walking monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. And I'll stay this way forever -- unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, the perfect girl, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly. . .beastly.

Source: Back of book


Review: This is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I love that story and I love this book. The book, which will be released as a movie on July 30, 2010 (starring Alex Pettyfer, Vanessa Hudgens, and OMG Neil Patrick Harris -- they couldn't have picked anyone better), was a great story. Not the most well-written book I've ever read, but I found it super enjoyable. Probably was a little old for it (I'm 18); the writing was really easy to understand, so I'd suggest this for 9th graders, I think. But those younger and older, of course, can enjoy it as well. The changes made to the story were really interesting and the book in general was definitely worth it. Give it a read!

Worst part: I really wish the quality/difficulty of the writing was greater. Also, I feel there was something not quite right about Kendra's character. Maybe a bit immature?

Best part: I seriously love Will. He should have gotten a love interest, IMHO.

Grade: B+

Other Books by This Author: Diva, Fade to Black, Nothing to Lose, Breaking Point, Breathing Underwater, and A Kiss in Time


32 / 50 books. 64% done!

No comments:

Post a Comment