Saturday, April 3, 2010

Nightlight: A Parody by the Harvard Lampoon

Minor spoilers.

Title:
Nightlight: A Parody
Author: The Harvard Lampoon
Year of Publication: 2009
Genre: Parody
Pages: 154
First Line: "The hot Phoenix sun glared down on the car windowsill where my bare, pallid arm dangled shamelessly."
Summary: About three things I was absolutely certain.

First, Edwart was most likely my soul mate, maybe.

Second, there was a vampire part of him -- which I assumed was wildly out of control -- that wanted me dead.

And third, I unconditionally, irrevocably, impenetrably, heterogeneously, gynecologically, and disreputably wished he had kissed me.

And thus Belle Goose falls in love with the mysterious and sparkly Edwart Mullen in the Harvard Lampoon's hilarious send-up.

Pale and klutzy, Belle arrives in Switchblade, Oregon, looking for adventure, or at least an undead classmate. She soon discovers Edwart, a super-hot computer nerd with zero interest in girls. After witnessing a number of strange events -- Edwart leaves his Tater Tots (TM) untouched at lunch! Edwart saves her from a flying snow ball! -- Belle has a dramatic revelation: Edwart is a vampire. But how can she convince Edwart to bite her and transform her into his eternal bride, especailly when he seems to find girls so repulsive?

Complete with romance, danger, insufficient parental guardianship, creepy stalkerlike behavior, and a vampire prom, Nightlight is the uproarious tale of a vampire-obsessed girl, looking for love in all the wrong places.

Source: Back of book



Review: It takes a lot for a book to make me laugh out loud. This one did it. I really should have tagged some of the best lines, but this was so funny. I was slightly confused with how they did things at the end -- it wasn't QUITE a parody at that point, as the plot had taken a different direction. And they missed some scenes in Twilight that would have been SO perfect for this book, but I'm sure they left it out in the interest of brevity as well as in the interest of being original, as the book has been made fun of so much. It's a super fast book, and definitely worth the few hours.

I highly recommend this, especially if you've already read the Twilight series. I'd be even more interested to read a parody done by the Harvard Lampoon of Breaking Fail Dawn.

Worst part: Some things were missing. They definitely should have played up how much Bella looks like Steph Meyer.

Best part: Some of the lines were just perfect. Belle was characterized perfectly. One line in particular had to do with how interchangeable her friends are -- and it's so true. I remember reading Twilight literally five times, and I still couldn't get the human-friends straight.

Grade: A-

Other Books by This Author: THL has done a ton of stuff.



23 / 50 books. 46% done!

No comments:

Post a Comment